Tuesday, July 28, 2009

mother and child


This is another larger painting that I have been working on. I was really happy with the way it just almost painted itself.  Working with babies is virtually impossible to do from life. This was a photo that I took a couple of years ago.  I spent many years painting portraits at an amusement park and festivals around town.  This involved all ages sitting for thirty minutes or more. Many times I was painting a baby in the mother's lap while the proud father tried to coax a smile.  I never quite understood why anyone would want their baby's portrait painted because the child changes so quickly as they grow month to month. 
With this painting, I think the interaction between the mother and child is what it's all about.  The relationship is forever rewarding.

4 comments:

  1. I like the movement in the painting; it really conveys "baby in lap," so active + proud mom. Altogether a fetching work!
    Your blog link is now on my blog's "Notable Links."
    Your new Cyber Friend,
    Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim !!
    Now if I can remember how to do my links we will be connected . Thank you for your comments. I value your opinion.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kate,
    I LOVE this piece! Great job with looseness and color and light. You make me want to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Heather !!
    I miss you and will call soon. I hope you are painting!

    ReplyDelete